Friday, May 16, 2008

Delivery!

The new desks have arrived! No more sharing!

Day 15 – May 16

I didn’t have any morning classes today so I was finally able to get to work on going through and putting up some of the posters that I had brought. The headmaster had purchased tape the previous day, so I was all set to go.

There were wall maps and a periodic table for each of the classrooms, but today’s focus was the load of other science wall charts that I had brought. They covered everything: biology, chemistry, physics, geography, etc. There were so many that the headmaster decided that we should put them up in one of the unused classrooms and henceforth call that room the science room. When the school had the money, they would now use that room to build their lab stations. Until then, the teachers could use the room when they wanted to teach material with the aid of the reference posters. They are immensely handy since currently, the only diagrams the kids see are the ones that are drawn on the board by the teachers that they must then copy into their notebooks.

As I began to put up the posters and charts on the wall, students began to filter in to see what was going on. They were excited and in groups immediately started looking at everything, pointing and chatting. It was great to see. By the time I had finished, the walls were covered and the room looked a little more like a classroom. At break time, there was a throng of students in there all looking…and learning!

I taught my class in the early afternoon and just as I was finishing, the carpenter’s truck pulled up. Loaded in the back were the 15 new desks and 6 new bookshelves that he had made for the school. We unloaded the desks and shelves into the new science room (they have to be stencilled with a number on Monday). With the desks and shelves and the posters all in one room, it was already the finest looking room in the school! The kids were so happy! Just wait until I put the other charts up in their classrooms!


After we had finished, the headmaster and I went into town to get the money to pay the carpenter. He will continue working on the furniture for the staffroom over the next week and a half, and should have it finished before I leave the school. It will be great to see the staffroom better equipped and teachers sitting at worktables rather than squeezed into student desks.

Once again, a big thanks to all who donated!!

No comments: