Friday, May 9, 2008

Without power, the internet is pretty useless

Day 10 – May 9

There’s very little to note on the school front today. I had no classes in the morning, but had collected the 1B notebooks and so spent an hour or so marking the exercise I had asked them to do. About 6 out of a class of 30 had done it well. Since I’ve just started working with them, it’s hard to tell if it was a low level of English or just poor explanations that caused the problems. The 1A class, however, seems to be doing much better and is a much more attentive class as well. We’ll see what happens in Week 2.

I then spent about 90 minutes stamping and dedicating the donated dictionaries. I will start using them with the classes next week, as we’ll be doing lessons on how to use a dictionary. Timely!

I left a bit early today to go to town to submit my OISE reports. However, on arrival I was disappointed to find that there was no electricity at the internet café today (despite it being on everywhere else). They told me that it could come back on at any time, so I killed about an hour walking around, and then another 30 minutes at a nearby café, but no luck. I finally had to give up around 4:30pm so that I could get home before dark. I will try again on Sunday or Monday.

No comments: